Saturday, January 13, 2007

What Lies Ahead?

"The journey is more important than the destination" .
This picturesque frame on our way to Penukonda is testimony that the best joys in the world are in the simplest of things. Compare this to a frenetic week at work in an overcrowded metropolis and you read my mind during this specific moment. Add to it the uncertainty of what lies ahead..what surprises lie in store for us around the bend ahead ...the bend of life .


Penukonda did not turn out the way I expected it to be . For one, most of the places were closed even at ten in the morning and a couple of them were overcrowded with local devotees. This was the one desolate temple with the mountain in the backdrop that attracted me and so I spent most of my time exploring this place .


This septuagenarian priest who knows no place other than the precincts of the temple he has offered his services, for over six decades. There was something enigmatic about this man and I could not help but muse at how the temple and the priest now shared such a desolate existence.
An urge to talk to him but at the cost of his lunch preparations deterred me from doing so...Next time perhaps?

These steps leading to the next unknown bend on my return from Penukonda will always serve as a reminder to take that unwavering decision when you heart and mind wants you to. There was something very peaceful and mystical about this place , prompting me to stop the car and walk upward.The experience was spiritually rewarding and rejuvenating, to say the least.

The peace of this place that seemed suspended in a different time and space .The lessons from an old man who taught me a unique meditation technique and some valuable lessons in hospitality were eyeopeners that renewed my belief that our world can be a beautiful place. His parting words will always echo in my mind " We were destined to meet at this time and at this place , and in this birth....else you would never have come here"
Do we overlook the many such signals in our everyday life and does it only take such experiences to unveil the hidden messages for us?



1 comment:

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Blogging seems to be in your blood. You are a natural. All the best hubby!!