Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sterling Swamimalai - Back to My Roots !

Imagine a similar morning in the 1940's. Imagine a lady stepping out of this traditional South Indian home to say a prayer facing these first rays of the morning sun...and then stepping in again to start her busy household chores.Now that could have been my grandmother.Getting to Sterling Swamimalai was a journey to find my roots ..to understand my past . These traditions are revived in every way at this resort starting from the traditional South Indian welcome that includes a foot massage.


This Courtyard is the venue for the morning Yoga Lessons . I attended these religiously throughout my stay there . This was also the venue for cultural performances in the evening. Experiencing the performance of flautists and percussionists playing Karnatic music against this perfect backdrop was an enthralling experince.



The well that is a characteristic feature of backyards of traditional South Indian homes and the main watersource for the house . I remember bathing by the well as a young boy at my Grandparents home ..drawing up buckets of cold water and often being reprimanded for taking too long and wasting too much water ... That was such a long time ago .



This traditional "Kollam" or pond has been creatively reconstructed into a swimming pool.
I spent most of the morning here ..reading a book by the pool after a sumptious South Indian breakfast that comprised famous Kumbakonam "degree" coffee.



Watching these geese enjoy a swim at the banana plantation was another pastime at Sterling Swamimalai. How the knew when the water would be released each day at the plantation is a mystery I could never unravel through my stay there.



2 comments:

sathish said...

srini, it seems a coincidence that I read about sterling swamimalai y'day and I wondered what was so great about it and see this blog post today..

very nice photos too..

I am thankful that some of my relatives are still living in villages near kumbakonam...

Unknown said...

If we are in india STERLING SWAMIMALAI is MUST . Its such a positive energy giving place. Rather than reading guys feel and experiance it then u will know the truth in my words.

LOURDU BASHA